The monument to Henryk Sienkiewicz (1846-1916) - an eminent Polish writer and winner of the Nobel Prize was placed in the alley parallel to the Aleje Ujazdowskie avenue in 2002.
The monument shows the writer in a seated position, while dropping sheets of a manuscript. The faithful reproduction of Sienkiewicz’s facial lines draws particular attention. The sides of the monument are covered with bas-relief flames as a symbol of the turbulent history of Poland, which was described by the Nobel prize winner in the Trilogy - a series of three historical novels.
Kazimierz Gustaw Zemła, one of the best known contemporary artists, is the author of the sculpture. The monument was funded by Zbigniew Porczyński and Janina Porczyńska, former owners of the John Paul II Collection. Placing the monument in the Royal Łazienki crowned the long-standing efforts to commemorate the writer with a monument, which began after his death in 1916.
The sculpture commemorates the writer’s long standing connections with Warsaw; he lived here in the years 1858-1876. The Royal Łazienki was one of his favourite locations in the capital. In 2000, the monument was blessed by the Primate of Poland, Cardinal Józef Glemp. The unveiling ceremony was attended by: the writer’s grandaughter - Maria Sienkiewicz, and his great grandson - Jan Sienkiewicz.