Sculptures near the Old Orangery
In front of the Old Orangery building, on its southern side, there is a rectangular garden with sculptures, separated with a thick wall fence; decorative stone vases made in the Royal workshop stand in the corner of the garden. Its entrance is guarded by two lions. This garden, arranged geometrically, is an open-air gallery of sculptures.
Currently, busts of the following Roman Emperors stand here: Hadrian, Caligula, Vespasian, Vitellius, Tiberius, Julius Caesar, Pompey, and Trajan. Sculpted by Pinck, until World War II, these sculptures decorated the column galleries of the Palace on the Isle.
Near the bottom of the stairs leading to the Orangery stand the sculptures of Apollo and Venus. The sculptures, made in the early 1870s, adorned the terrace of the Palace on the Isle. The figures of the Satyr with Kid and Bacchus are part of the same group. A dozen or so years ago, the sculptures made by Righy symbolizing the Vistula and Bug rivers, were moved here. In the times of the King, they ornamented the corners of the south terrace of the Palace on the Isle. The garden’s arrangement is complemented by two marble sphinxes and eight marble vases.
On the side of the escarpment stands the Satyr figure. This stone sculpture was made by an unidentified sculptor in around 1930.